March 9, 2020
This letter is to address some concerns brought up regarding illness and the Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 and how it might affect our classes and events. While the risk of an outbreak remains low in British Columbia as of the date of this letter, we feel that we should have a common-sense, reasonable approach to keep our students and families healthy. The health and safety of our members is always our top priority.
After discussions with our instructing team and staff, we have instituted the following policies designed to help reduce the spread of illness in our facilities (including the COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus):
Student and Instructor Hygiene and Sanitization:
- Students are required to wash hands and/or sanitize hands when entering the training floor at the beginning of class and leaving at the end of class. We have conveniently placed sanitizer dispensers at the entrance to the training floor and at the sign in station.
- Any student exhibiting cold or flu symptoms (coughing, sneezing, fever etc.) must refrain from participating in class. Students may be removed at the instructor’s discretion if exhibiting symptoms.
- Any student who borrows sparring equipment must ensure it is fully sanitized before returning it to the bin.
- All training equipment must be sanitized after use
- Students should be sanitizing their own sparring equipment after every use. Mouth guards can be sanitized using an alcohol-based mouthwash.
- Uniforms should be washed on a regular basis.
- All surfaces are being fully sanitized by staff twice per day
- Mats are being fully sanitized with anti-bacterial, anti-viral disinfectant on a regular basis
Parents and Siblings
- We ask that any parents or siblings exhibiting cold and flu symptoms to refrain from viewing class
At this time no events or tournaments have been cancelled or postponed. Students are still encouraged to participate while taking the precautions listed above.
Member’s cooperation is appreciated as we work to having a healthy training space for all our members. We encourage parents to reinforce these policies with their children as we would like to use this as an opportunity to teach our students about proper hygiene and hand washing. Any members or parents who have questions or concerns regarding the above can contact Mr. White directly outside of class time, via phone or by reply to this email.
More information and an FAQ on the recommended precautions can be found here:
Sundance Martial Arts Ltd.